Here's your chance to be a better you. Check out our 7 Healthy Habits to incorporate into your every day. Start feeling better today!
1. Got a blood work appointment? Drink lots of water before your next blood test! When you need to have a blood test, if you drink lots and lots of water before the test, your veins will be easier to access. Your test will go so much better. You are allowed to drink water even if you are doing a fasting blood draw. Stay hydrated!
2. Energize Up Your Morning! When you wake up, A. Drink a full glass of water immediately; B. Roll your head around in full circles both ways; C. same with the shoulders; D. Move your jaw left to right quickly for 20 seconds; E. Take five very deep breaths; F. Finally do 20 squats each morning (work up to 50). Start your day off with a smile!
3. Be Aware of Sugary Drinks. Be careful when choosing your next drink. Sodas and pop, energy drinks, coffee creations, and even fruit juices are loaded with sugary calories. Having even one drink a day can add on the pounds. Excellent alternatives are water, flavored seltzer water, sparkling water, and even infused with vitamin waters. Try a fresh lemon in your water. Or my favorite recipe: lemon slices, cucumber slices in a large glass of ice water for a refreshing drink. Better yet fill a pitcher and share it with a friend!
4. Eat More Nuts; Nuts are high in fat but it’s a good fat loaded with various nutrients. They are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin E, potassium and magnesium. They may lower cholesterol and triglycerides. So go a little nutty and choose nuts!
5. Get enough sleep! This may be just as important as the exercise you do and the food you eat. Poor sleep can drive insulin resistance, throw your appetite hormones out of whack and reduce your physical and mental performance. Adequate sleep helps improve memory and spurs creativity. When you are well rested it can improve athletic performance plus sharpen your attention. So keep your sleep patterns regular.
6. A Movin’ and A Groovin’ Everyday! Keep yourself moving everyday. It’s one of the best things you can do for your mental and physical health. Go for a walk around the block. Go with a friend and/or a pet. Stand while you surf the web or work on a computer. Walk the mall, park at the end of the parking lot, join a yoga or a Zumba class. Take the stairs. Stand up during every commercial break. Taking a five-minute exercise break around 10 a.m. will make you more productive and energized! Focus on having fun. Just keep moving!
7. Eat lots of Fruits and Veggies and don’t forget the Protein! Fruits and Veggies equals FIBER, Vitamins and minerals. Fiber is our body’s lubricant. Eating plenty of fruits and veggies fills us up and keeps us “regular". Eating plenty of protein has also been shown to lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels and maybe even some weight loss, too. High protein intake can boost metabolism significantly and keep you satisfied for at least a few hours. Choose wisely, when it comes to eating.
So start today on your road to healthy habits. Choose one and make a commitment to practicing it often. It's a chance for you to be a better you!
Thanks for stopping by.
Smile and Be Kind!